The Polk County fair always leaves me in awe every year. I'd like to make it clear that this is a bad awe, not a good awe. The whole shebang is just so crazy. Yes, the rides are fun, but have you ever realized or even thought if the ride operators where people in jail doing community service? Or if the art judges for 4 H have actually done art? There is so much to wonder about. All of those tacky on-the-go food stands [or should I say, food trucks] just make me tingle. I probably have ever gotten food from them. I really don't want to either. The judges for 4 H are the worst. All of them are old ladies helping out with the fair. This year, I brought 2 paintings in [one of the paintings being my self portrait] and a knitted hat. I could bet you a million bucks that those ladies had no clue what they where talking about. "Oh, theres a smear there. I'm going to give you a red on this. In the future, remember to be neater."' said the fat old judge. Really?! Do you know how much time I spent on this?! Maybe over 30 hours! And you give me a red because of my smear? Well, Miss old lady, I'd like you to paint a self portrait when your 11 years old and see how that fairs you! Those where my thoughts as I stormed to my mother. "A red on my good one. A blue on the stupid birdie picture that I quickly painted yesterday." My mom was in shock. And then began the wretched thoughts of mine coming out of my moms mouth. [not next to the judge, of course.] Then began the series of, "Don't worry. I mean, I couldn't paint like that when I was your age. The judge still can't even paint anything at her age." And, "Most kids can't even paint like that. You worked so hard on that, so in your heart,you know you did wonderful." [obviously the judge doesn't thing that] Well, that leads me to next year. Where the cycle begins again.Don't work so hard on something because you never know if you will fail. But always work on a project the night before the fair and its likely that you will get a blue. Have a fantastic weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment